Freedom of Information

The Freedom of Information Act 2000 gives members of the public a right to access all types of recorded information held by public authorities such as the council.

How do I request information?

Before you make a request

We publish lots of information through our Publication Scheme and our Datasets page. Please check here before making a Freedom of Information request, as the information you're looking for may already be available in another part of the website.

You can ask for any information we hold. Here are some examples of requests we’ve received in the past:

  • Please provide the highest, lowest and average actual weekly fees paid to older person’s care providers for this year?
  • Can I have the total floor space in County Hall and the number of staff working there?
  • How many pupils were excluded from your secondary schools in the last academic year?
  • Which books get taken out of the library the most?

Sometimes there will be valid reasons why we will refuse your request, e.g. because releasing the information would be harmful to another person, or we do not hold the information you’ve requested. In these cases, we will notify you that we are refusing your request for information, and explain the reasons why.

If you want to request personal information that is about you, you should make your request under the Data Protection Act, rather than the Freedom of Information Act. 

Request information online

Alternatively, you can:

  • Email us
  • Write to us at: Access to Information, Corporate Information Management Team, Denbighshire County Council, PO Box 62, Ruthin, LL15 9AZ.

We will get back to you within 20 working days.

If you need assistance to make your request, please phone the Contact Centre 01824 706000 and hold for ‘all other enquiries'.

Will I be charged?

There is no charge for requests under the Freedom of Information Act, but you may be charged for associated costs such as photocopying or postage.

The Information Commissioner

The Information Commissioner’s Office (external website) is the UK’s independent authority set up to enforce laws relating to public access to information. They provide advice to the public, and to organisations like the Council, that hold personal information and official records.

Related documents