Terms and conditions for Denbighshire registration services.
Us' or ‘Our’ or ‘We’ means Denbighshire County Council (“Council”)
‘You' or ‘Your’ means the person (s) named in the booking ceremony form.
Your marriage or civil partnership ceremony booking is accepted on the condition that:
- No legal impediment to the marriage or civil partnership exists and Legal Preliminaries are completed as required.
- Any foreign divorce/dissolution papers are accepted by the Registrar General where applicable.
View our current registration fees
Provisional Booking and Deposit
Payment of a deposit will reserve space in our diary for a ceremony at a Registration office or for Registrars to attend a licenced venue. The Provisional Booking Fee is non-refundable and will be deducted from the final fee due.
To secure a date and time more than 12 months in advance of the ceremony an additional fee is payable which is non-refundable and will not be deducted from the final fee due.
Notice fees are payable at the time you give your legal notice of intention to marry or form a civil partnership; these fees are non-refundable.
Ceremony fees and Certificate fee
The balance of the ceremony fee is due no later than two (2) weeks before the ceremony. Please note reminders are not sent. Non-payment by the due date will result in the ceremony being cancelled by us and all monies paid to date will be forfeited.
If you have requested and paid for additional certificates, please be aware ALL certificates are posted (via 2nd class mail). We do not accept any liability for certificates lost in transit. In the event that the certificates are not received by you, a further application and payment will be required.
Signing the Register/Schedule
During your ceremony you will be asked to sign your entry in the Register/Schedule. You must check thoroughly that all the information is correct before signing.
Any corrections requested after the register/schedule has been signed will need to be referred to The General Register Office for consideration which carries a mandatory statutory fee of £90 payable by you.
Cancellation by couple
We will only accept a cancellation from one of the parties to the ceremony and not from any other person.In the event that you need to cancel your ceremony you must notify us in writing, by email from the email address given at the time of booking or by letter.
- Deposit will be retained if you cancel your ceremony.
- No refund will be made if cancellation is made within the two (2) weeks of the date of the ceremony.
- Failure to attend the booked ceremony on the appointed day or time will be treated as a cancellation and all monies paid will be forfeited.
Cancellation by Denbighshire County Council
Your booking may be cancelled by the Council if you have not given your legal notice of intention to marry or form a civil partnership. The deposit will be retained by the Council.
The time booked for the ceremony is the time it will commence.
Please note that there is no contingency plan in place if the ceremony is delayed, due to the late arrival of the couple or any awaited guests, or for any other reason.
In order to fulfil other commitments with other ceremonies, the registrar will have to leave the venue in accordance with the agreed ceremony time.
If the Registrar is able to wait to perform your ceremony, then you will be charged by way of invoice for the Registrars waiting time.
Where a ceremony is cancelled due to lateness, no refunds will be given.
It is your responsibility to ensure that you have two credible witnesses at the ceremony. We require that witnesses signing the register must be aged 16 or over and speak and understand English.
Ceremonies in freestanding structures and outside ceremonies
This applies to any ceremony where either part of the non-legal ceremony takes place outdoors or any ceremony where any guests are outside. It does not apply to ceremonies in weather proof structures.
- The legal part of the proceedings will always take place within a licenced structure.
- The holding of such a ceremony must be pre-agreed with us in writing.
- The ceremony must take place during daylight hours.
- The venue must agree and must also have an alternative ceremony room for your use in case the ceremony needs to be conducted indoors
- The ceremony will not proceed outside on the day of the ceremony if the weather is inclement. The final decision will rest with the Registrar on the day
Naming and renewal of vows
Your ceremony booking is accepted, on the condition that the following documents are produced as appropriate:
- The birth certificate of the person being named; and/or
- The marriage or civil partnership certificate for couples renewing their vows.
Please note that these ceremonies do not give any legal status or rights.
We do not permit animals or wildlife (with the exception of guide dogs or assistance animals) at ceremonies in our own registration offices.
If an approved venue permits a couple to have animals or wildlife at their ceremony, the venue is entirely responsible for the health and safety of guests and any housekeeping issues which may arise as a result. We must be informed of these arrangements in advance of the day of the ceremony.
Facilities are usually available either within or outside the venue for photographs. A limited number of photographs taken by the official photographer will be allowed during a ceremony by prior arrangement with the conducting registrar.
Photographers must not be allowed to cause any unnecessary delays to the commencement of ceremonies.
The register/schedule cannot be filmed or photographed due to data protection restrictions.
The registrar reserves the right to stop the photographs/video if it is believed to be unnecessarily interfering with or intruding on the conducting of the ceremony or registration of the marriage/civil partnership.
Denbighshire County Council commits to providing a safe and healthy working environment for its staff. The Council expects members of the public to treat employees with courtesy and respect and will not tolerate anyone who behaves aggressively or abusively towards employees.
We cannot accept liability for:
- Any ceremony that has to be cancelled as a result of events outside our control.
- Any delay or loss caused by the late arrival or non-arrival of you or your guests.
- Any loss to you, financial or otherwise, caused by a request from you or your representatives to delay the ceremony.
- Failure of any music system or device provided by the venue, yourself or a third party.
- Errors, omissions or failures caused by a venue that is not owned by Denbighshire County Council. Approval of the venue is granted only in connection with the provision of ceremonies
- Any loss or compensation where a ceremony is stopped from proceeding because:
- It would be void if it went ahead
- An offence under the Marriage or Civil Partnership Acts would be committed, or
- Either party to the marriage is deemed incapable of continuing due to illness, consumption of alcohol or other substances.
We will not accept liability for any costs or consequential loss incurred as a result of having to alter the venue or timing of the ceremony.
We reserve the right to make the final decision on any wording used in the delivery of your ceremony, and will not accept liability for any omission.
Our contact details are firstname.lastname@example.org