Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

A house in multiple occupancy (HMO) is a property rented to at least three people who are not from the same ‘household’ (e.g. family).

Additional Licensing (Houses in Multiple Occupation) Scheme 2020

On the 28th July 2020, Cabinet approved the Denbighshire County Council Additional Licensing (Houses in Multiple Occupation) Scheme 2020. The area of Rhyl has been redesignated for Additional HMO Licensing and the scheme has also been expanded to include Denbigh, Llangollen and Prestatyn. The scheme will commence on the 1st December 2020 and will run for a maximum of five years until the 30th November 2025.

Houses In Multiple Occupation (HMOs) And The Housing Act 2004 - Public Notice In Respect Of Additional Licensing

Details of the type of property affected by the scheme and how to apply 

Coronavirus update

Guidance for HMO tenants

If you have symptoms of Coronavirus, then all household members must stay at home and not leave for 14 days. Find out about the symptoms and use the NHS Wales Coronavirus Symptom Checker (external website).


Your landlord is still responsible for keeping your home safe and in good repair, even during this pandemic. If you have a problem with your home, you should tell your landlord or letting agent.

View Welsh Government guidance on repairs to your rented home (external website)

Shared spaces

If someone is unwell in a HMO where there are shared spaces, they should:

  • minimise visiting shared spaces such as kitchens, bathrooms and sitting areas
  • keep shared spaces well ventilated
  • keep 2 metres from other people
  • use a separate bathroom if possible (the bathroom should be cleaned and disinfected using regular cleaning products before being used by anyone else)
  • use separate body and hand towels from other people.
  • avoid using shared kitchens whilst others are present.
  • take meals back to their room to eat and use a dishwasher (if available) to clean and dry crockery and cutlery

Guidance for HMO landlords

Landlords will not be able to commence eviction proceedings for three months. Evictions, other than through a Court Order, are not lawful. We may consider prosecuting landlords who attempt to illegally evict or harass tenants. 

If your tenants have to self-isolate, this will obviously be a difficult and stressful time so you should encourage them to plan ahead to help make it easier, this should include:

  • Considering what they are going to need in order to be able to stay at home full 14 days
  • talking to their employer, friends and family to ask for their help to access the things they will need to make their stay at home a success
  • planning how to get access to food and other supplies such as medications required during this period
  • creating a contact list with phone numbers of neighbours, schools, employer, chemist, NHS 111
  • setting up online shopping accounts if possible
  • asking friends or family to drop off anything needed or order supplies online, but make sure these are left outside the home for them to collect
  • making sure that they keep in touch with friends and family over the phone or through social media
  • thinking about things they can do during their time at home.

More information

Please contact us if you would like more information.

For the latest information about our services and advice please visit

There are different types of HMO properties: those which share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen; self-contained flats, and those which include a mixture of shared and self-contained units.

A HMO that falls under the Mandatory Licensing Scheme must have a licence if: 

  • it has three or more storeys AND
  • there are five or more tenants living there AND 
  • they form more than one household 
  • with or without shared facilities (bathroom and kitchen)

Under our Additional Licensing Scheme, there are slightly different criteria for properties in Denbigh, Llangollen, Prestatyn and Rhyl. An HMO property in Denbigh, Llangollen, Prestatyn and Rhyl must have a licence if: 

  • there are three or more tenants living there AND 
  • they form more than one household, with or without shared facilities (bathroom and kitchen)  
  • they form more than one fully self-contained household, but do not meet the 1991 Building Regulations AND where less than two-thirds of the self-contained flats are owner occupied.

How to apply for a HMO licence

It is the responsibility of the landlord or manager of the property to apply for a HMO licence.

Before you complete the application, please read the guidance notes.

Houses in Multiple Occupation licence application guidance (PDF, 204KB)

To apply for a HMO licence, please download and complete an application form and return it to the address on the form. 

Houses in Multiple Occupation licence application form (PDF, 430KB) 

A HMO licence is valid for up to 5 years. You will need to apply for a new licence at the end of this period.

How much does it cost?

The cost of a HMO licence depends on the number of habitable rooms in the property.

Houses in Multiple Occupation licence fees (PDF, 63KB) 

HMO standards

We are responsible for enforcing HMO standards. If you live in a HMO and feel there are any unreasonable hazards which your private landlord is not dealing with, please report it.

HMO licensing register

We keep a public register of all the properties in Denbighshire which are listed as houses in multiple occupancy. 

Houses in Multiple Occupation licensing register (PDF, 81KB) 

If you have any enquiries about a property which has been licensed, or a property that you feel should be registered and is not, please contact us.

Related documents

Houses in Multiple Occupation licence conditions (PDF, 610KB)