Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a benefit designed to support people of working age who are on a low income or out of work. You can only apply for Universal Credit online.

DWP migration notices

If you have received a migration notice about moving to Universal Credit, as one or more of your benefits will be ending soon, you can view guidance from GOV.UK about what you need to do to continue getting financial support (external website).

For more help and advice, you can get in touch with Citizens Advice Denbighshire (external website).

Services and information

What is Universal Credit? (external website)

Find out what Universal Credit is.

Check if you're eligible for Universal Credit (external website)

You can check if you're eligible for Universal Credit on the Citizens Advice website.

Apply for Universal Credit (external website)

If you know that you're eligible, you can apply online for Universal Credit through GOV.UK.

Advance payments (external website) 

Information about advance payments of Universal Credit.

Citizens Advice (external website)

Visit the Citizens Advice website for more information on Universal Credit.

Challenging a Universal Credit decision (external website)

Get information from Citizens Advice on what to do if you think a decision about your Universal Credit is wrong and should be changed.

Free school meals

You may also be entitled to Free School Meals if you claim Universal Credit, but you’ll need to apply for this separately. Find out more.

Calculate your benefits (external website)

Use an independent benefits calculator to find out what benefits you could get and how your benefits will be affected if you start work.

Discretionary housing payments

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) are made by us in certain circumstances to people that are receiving Universal Credit (Housing Element) but who may need further help with their Housing Costs.

Council tax reduction scheme

Universal Credit does not include any help towards your Council Tax. You will need to apply for help with your council tax separately. Find out more.

Universal Credit for Landlords

Information on Universal Credit for landlords.

Help to Save (external website)

Get help with savings if you're on a low income.